Friday, May 9, 2014

"You're Not a People. You're Just a Mom"

When Whitney was just 3 years old, she brought me a sheet of paper she had colorfully decorated with markers and asked me to fold it into an origami box.
As I folded, she found an empty tin of Altoids "Tangerine Sours" sitting on the table next to me.
Picking up the tin she asked, "Mama, did you eat them all?" a demanding tone in her voice.
"Well there were just two left and Ellie ate them," I replied.
"Uhhhhh!" she whined, "I wanted two of them!"
I didn't respond--just kept folding.
After standing there glaring at me for a few moments, empty tin in hand, she said resolvedly, "I will throw this at you."
"If you throw that at me I will keep your paper box." I said as I continued to fold. "You don't throw things at people."
"Well you're not a people."
"Yes I am."
"Nuh-uh.  You're not a people."
"Well I'm not a cat. I'm not a dog.  I'm not a horse."
"Well you're not a people." she insisted.
"I'm a person."
"No you aren't"
Deciding the argument was useless, I fell silent and kept folding.
Whitney stood by watching me and after a few moments said, matter-of-factly, "You're not a person." (Pause) "You're just a mom."
I laughed right out loud and she whined loudly, "Don't laugh at me!"
"I'm not laughing at you.  I'm laughing at what you said."
She finally put the empty tin down, distracted by something else, and walked away.
And I finished folding the brightly colored paper box.



No comments:

Post a Comment